Work From Home: A COMMON Guide to Success
World events have compelled us to say goodbye to the daily commute and participate in a massive work from home experiment. Many of us are privileged to have jobs that allow remote work. It can be a challenging transition, however, especially if you have distractions in the home, are struggling to connect to your remote systems, or simply have never telecommuted before. You may be feeling isolated and disconnected from your team and are looking for ideas on how to best adapt to these new realities and stay involved and connected.
Work from Home: A COMMON Guide to Success will address the obstacles to working effectively and efficiently from home. The series consists of panel discussions every Wednesday, starting April 8, and will occur between 12-1 PM CT. Our panelists are well versed in working from home and will provide their tried and true expertise in these discussions.
- Steven Wolk, PC Richard & Son (Moderator)
- Kim Greene, Kim Greene Consulting
- Mary Langen, Midrange Dynamics
- Dawn May, Dawn May Consulting
- Peg Tuttle, Midrange Dynamics
- Richie Palma, iTech Solutions
Though all attendee questions will be accepted and considered by the panel, each date is structured around a specific topic:
- 4/8/2020: Practical Tools Required to Work From Home
- 4/15/2020: How to Be a Productive Employee From Your Home
- 4/22/2020: Taking Care of Yourself when Working From Home
- 4/29/2020: What to Do if You Find Yourself Furloughed
You can submit questions to the panel in one of two ways: 1) live or 2) in advance via this link.
In addition to the panel discussions, on Fridays starting from April 17, we will offer presentations and discussion around issues specific to telecommuting in an IBM i shop.
- 4/17/2020: How to Set Up Your Home Printer as an IBM i Printer with ACS – Steve Pitcher & Pete Massiello, iTech Solutions Group
- 4/24/2020: How to access your IBM i without VPN: Configuring and Understanding the Risks Involved – Steve Pitcher & Nathan Williams, iTech Solutions Group
- 5/01/2020: TBA
Even if you have telecommuted before, working from home because of Coronavirus may feel like a strange new world. The intention of this series is to bring together COMMON community members with IBM i and remote work experts. The resulting discussion will provide you with the tools to be productive from home and help you feel less isolated and alone.
Register once and attend as many events in this series as you wish. See you on-line!